Renee Garrett, MSEd, CCC-SLP, CBIS, is a native of Hampton Roads, having graduated from Warwick High School and attended Christopher Newport University in Newport News. She later moved with her husband to Keflavik, Iceland, where she lived for three years. In 1997, her dad had a major stroke and she spent several months assisting with his rehabilitation for dysphagia and aphasia. She then had a career as a customer service representative for a large fundraising corporation, working with non-profit, community and school groups. In 2006, Renee decided to return to school and change career paths. She graduated with her Bachelors of Science in speech-language pathology in 2008 and her Masters of Science in Education in 2010, both from Old Dominion University. She has worked for Riverside Rehabilitation Institute in inpatient rehabilitation and outpatient settings, for Legacy Healthcare in assisted living, as well as for Sentara Health Systems in acute care hospitals and the day rehabilitation program, serving teenaged adolescents, adults and geriatric patients with dysphagia and a variety of communication and cognitive disorders. Renee is FEES trained, privileged and has supervised SLPs during their privileging process. Renee has a special interest in aphasia and in cognitive retraining post-TBI. She holds certification as a certified brain injury specialist from the Brain Injury Association of America and is active in educating families, friends and patients about dysphagia, communication and cognitive disorders. Renee serves on the Speech Language Hearing Association of Virginia’s executive board and fulfilled roles as secretary, Vice President of Communication and Public Relations, Vice President of Membership, President-Elect, and President. She is the current Past President.
Deep Dive Study Group: Changing Practice Settings: Preparing to Provide Best Practices
Description: Opportunity knocks and you want to take on a new challenge. I get it. As speech language pathologists, we have the ability to work across different practice settings throughout our careers. How do we prepare for the new setting? What ethical responsibilities do we have? Where can we find mentorship or free/low–cost courses? Join me as we navigate changing settings and embracing new opportunities.
Dates & Agenda:
- Session 1: Working Across Practice Settings: An Introduction
- Session 2: What Does Medical SLP Practice Entail?
- Session 3: Collaborative Roles: Who Do We Work With?
- Session 4: Ethics to Consider When Changing Roles
- Session 5: What About Training or Preparing for the Next Role?
- Session 6: Strategies for Resume Building and Marketing Yourself
Are you ready to take your skills to the next level?
Be the first to know when registration opens!
- Limited to the first 20 people to enroll (must have a minimum of 10*).
- A one-year Professional subscription to SpeechTherapyPD.com is included for non-subscribers.
- 4 guided 90-minute group discussions and lessons.
- Each session will begin with a facilitator presentation followed by a group discussion of case studies and applications.
- Bring specific case studies to be discussed.
- Discussion group available during the week for your cohort on The SLP Hub community forum.
- Post-group access to the private group discussion forum.
- Pre-requisite courses assigned by the expert facilitator may be required.
- Sessions will be recorded for future reference and in case of a missed session.
- Sessions are offered for ASHA CEUs (must attend live).
By registering for a Deep Dive Study Group you are agreeing to our Participant Agreement.
Refund Policy: You must email email@example.com for all refund requests within seven days of purchase. Requests received after that, until seven days from the start of the Deep Dive Study Group, will be eligible for credit to apply to another Deep Dive Study Group within 12 months of purchase. Credit may transfer to another person. No refund or credit from seven days prior to the start of the group.
*Groups that do not meet the minimum of 10 enrollees may be canceled, and a refund will be issued within 30 days.