MariBeth Plankers is a Speech-Language Pathologist, Assistive Technology Professional. She is a consultant and provider in the areas of augmentative alternative communication, autism spectrum disorder, reading and written language needs, and assistive technology. MariBeth is a National Presenter for the Bureau of Education and Research. In her free time, she spends time on the water in Minnesota, year round fishing, swimming and paddle boarding. Most importantly she loves being with her family, especially the grandchildren and the fur kids!
Deep Dive Study Group: The Role of the Speech Language Pathologist with AAC and Literacy
Description: The Role of the Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) in Augmentative Alternative Communication (AAC) is engaging and ever-changing. This is due to the communicative needs of students/clients (pediatric to geriatric) and the major advancements of assistive technology. The SLP’s role with AAC involves the assessment and intervention of receptive and expressive language skills with the customized supports of assistive technology options. Determining the type of AAC User with whom you provide service is critical in the success of intervention and generalization of communication skills across setting and situations. Goals and objectives provide the basis for developing successful communication interactions with the intent to communicate along with identifying barriers that may impede overall communication. The Intervention process opens the door to a wealth of communication resources and professional tools available to the practicing SLP. The assistive technology resources and tools are readily accessible to assist professional teams and families with developing a purposeful and functional AAC communication system.
Dates & Agenda:
- Session 1 (1.5 hrs): The Foundations of Language in Relation to Literacy and the AAC Learner
- Session 2 (1.5 hrs): Assessments for Literacy and the AAC Learner
- Session 3 (1.5 hrs): The Use of Universal Design for Learning within Literacy and the AAC User
- Session 4 (1.5 hrs): Assistive Technology Tools for the AAC Learner and Literacy Considerations Across Settings
Be the first to know when registration opens!
- Limited to the first 20 people to enroll (must have a minimum of 10*).
- A one-year Professional subscription to SpeechTherapyPD.com is included for non-subscribers.
- 4 guided 90-minute group discussions and lessons.
- Each session will begin with a facilitator presentation followed by a group discussion of case studies and applications.
- Bring specific case studies to be discussed.
- Discussion group available during the week for your cohort on The SLP Hub community forum.
- Post-group access to the private group discussion forum.
- Pre-requisite courses assigned by the expert facilitator may be required.
- Sessions will be recorded for future reference and in case of a missed session.
- Sessions are offered for ASHA CEUs (must attend live).
Why choose Deep Dive Study Groups?
SpeechTherapyPD.com Deep Dive Study Groups include a Professional Subscription (access 1000+ CE courses through webinars, seminars, and podcasts, plus get full access to The SLP Hub), four 90-minute interactive sessions, and post-group access to a peer private discussion forum. If you’re not currently a Professional Subscriber, this will cost $359. If you’re already a Professional Subscriber, you’ll pay $160.
On average, six hours of 1:1 consultant calls can cost anywhere between $600 and $1,050 – And that’s without access to an entire library of courses available for ASHA CEUs and support through a private discussion forum. With the SpeechTherapyPD.com Deep Dive Study Group, you get so much more. This is truly an opportunity for ongoing education, cohort support, and group support through the private discussion forum. The value can’t be beat!
Book a 1:1 Consultant Call
- 1:1 Consultant Video Call: $150 per hour
- Subject to availability
- Pay only when your appointment is confirmed
Submit your application, which will include topics and/or questions you would like to discuss
Acceptance via email (DO NOT Pay until your appointment has been confirmed)
Make Your Payment
Refund Policy: You must email email@example.com immediately for all refund/credit requests. You have 7 days from the date of purchase to cancel and receive 100% refund. After that, until 7 days from the start of the Deep Dive course or 1:1 consultant call, you will receive a credit to apply to another Deep Dive Study Group or 1:1 consultant call within 12 months of purchase. May transfer to another person. No refund or credit from 7 days prior to the start of the course.